A life-changing experience. The Tour to Jalapão Park Route is an opportunity developed for people who are not only content to know paradise places but instead need to experience the destinations where they pass. Living Jalapão is a choice for those who want to get out of the conventional and immerse themselves in the Jalapoeira culture. An experience that will take you to explore the region walking, paddling, and meeting people who have the essence of Jalapão at heart.
An inhospitable place where we are disconnected and isolated to realize the importance of simplicity with every step taken, despite the effort that this itinerary requires of us, we are always rewarded for every drop of sweat spilled. The Back to the Park is that. More than just a trip, it is an experience that transcends us and reveals the treasures hidden in the paths, rivers, and lowlands scattered around the corners of our great wilderness. We invite you to surrender to our Cerrado.
Day by Day
Day 1 - Arrival at Palmas City
Fly into Palmas, the closest airport to Jalapão State Park, where you’ll be met and transferred to your hotel. Check-in and explore this newly built city, only founded in 1990.
Day 2 - Swimming and Sunset Views
Palmas to Jalapão Ecolodge
Meet your guide in the morning at your hotel and set off by 4x4 towards Jalapão, stopping off at Morro Vermelho, a red sandstone hill with unique rock formations. Arrive at Jalapão Ecolodge, in time for lunch and a refreshing swim in the Soninho River. After plenty of time to relax, hike up the Morro da Catedral for sunset views over the surrounding park. Return to the ecolodge for dinner and a good night's sleep.
Total driving time - 5 hours Total distance walked – 4,5km
Day 3 - Hike, waterfalls, and rafting
Jalapão Ecolodge / São Félix
Rise early with the sun for a hike on the Garcês trail, originally used by local indigenous people to reach their fields. Arrive at Cachoeira da Velha, the largest waterfall in the park, 100 meters wide and 15 meters high, for a refreshing dip and time to relax. Eat a picnic lunch on one of the golden sandy beaches that line the River Novo and get ready for the adrenaline hit of an afternoon rafting on Class IV rapids.
Day 4 - Float in Natural Springs, Visit Local Villages and Sand Dunes
São Felix / Mateiros
After breakfast, drive to Fervedouro Bela Vista, one of the most unusual destinations in the park, a series of crystal clear springs that constantly bubble giving you the sensation of floating effortlessly. Continue on to the Formiga Waterfall, where emerald green waters tumble over smooth rocks, forming a perfect natural swimming pool shaded by forest. Stop for a home-cooked lunch at another turquoise spring and enjoy the nearby golden beaches on the River Formiga.
After plenty of time to eat and rest, take a short hike across the cerrado, or Brazilian savannah, and see where the different colored waters of two rivers, the Formiga and the Soninho, meet. Travel on to Mumbuca village, a small community descended from escaped slaves known for its handicrafts woven from golden grass that only grows in this region – a technique passed down through generations. Afterward, we will go to the dunes of Jalapão, an environment with golden sand surrounded by mountains and Veredas (wet fields). We back to Mateiros city to have our dinner and sleep.
Total distance walked – 4km
Day 5 - Sunrise, Visit Local Villages and Sandstone piece
Mateiros / Ponte Alta
Wake up early for a morning hike to see the sunrise from the top of Espírito Santo Hill, 500 meters high, with views over the surrounding landscape. Travel on to Suçuapara Canyon, carved by water flowing through the sandstone walls for hundreds of years. Stop for lunch and a break from the afternoon sun, before driving on to Pedra Furada hill to climb this huge piece of sandstone carved by wind and rain in time for sunset. Stop for dinner and sleep at Ponte Alta.
Day 6 - Waterfalls and adventure activities
Ponte Alta / Lagoa da Confusão
Let's start our trip with a relaxing day and full of wonders in the District of Palmas, Taquaruçu, a cozy and bucolic place, with hospitable people and several waterfalls with crystal clear waters, the place where remains the springs that supply water to the capital of the state. We will visit the Escorrega Macaco Waterfall (50m high) and the Roncadeira Waterfall (70m). After lunch we go to Lagoa da Confusão city, to see the sunset. The next morning we go find the biggest Fluvial Island in the world, Bananal Island.
What is included
- English speaking guide
- Transportation in a 4X4 vehicle with fuel
- Accredited English speaking guide in the Ministry of Tourism
- Lodging in Jalapão in a double room with breakfast
- Meals during the expedition 9 meals - lunches and dinners, except drinks)
- Track snack (cereal bars, biscuits, a mix of nuts and/or dried fruits or similar)
- Rafting, tracks, and tax of attraction visitation
- Travel insurance
What is not included
- Any items not mentioned above, including a meal in Palmas, and optional tours
What to bring
- Headlight (preferably for hands-free)
- Diving goggles (snorkel or swimming goggles)
- Long-sleeve T-shirt with UV protection
- Recommended use for trekking pants
- Comfortable trekking or tennis boot for the trek
- Mandatory water shoes or hiking sandals (CROCS sandal) for rafting
- Sunscreen / Repellent
- Personal hygiene products
- Light jacket for the cooler nights from May to September (minimum 16 ° C)
- High temperatures from June to October (so we don't walk in the sunny weather from 10h30min to 14h)
- Rain cover between October and April (heaviest rainfall between December and March)
- Hat or cap
- Photo camera (lenses, memory card, battery)
- Medicines for personal use and if used please describe
- Light clothes
- Bathing suit (swimming)
- High absorption sports towel (for walks and trails)
- Hydration Backpack or Squeeze
- Attack Backpack (Small backpack up to 20 liters to carry along the trail)
- Cash for extra purchases (such as alcohol, crafts, and tips),
- Suggested luggage weighing up to 12kg per person or 60-liter backpack. Less is more!
- The itinerary can change due to climate conditions or any factor that the company judges dangerous to the integrity of the group
- Inform the guide in case of dependence on medicines or health conditions
- Prices are subject to change at any moment. You must send an inquiry to receive an official offer. Confirmed reservations are not subject to price changes.